
Picture yourself standing in Unionville Center in the late nineteenth century. You notice smoke coming from one of the many factories or fine homes. As your neighbors gather to watch with you, the building burns to the ground.
Recognizing the need for organized fire protection, the citizens of Unionville petition the State Legislature to form a fire district. On February 22, 1893 the House of Representatives creates the Unionville Fire District. The original incorporators are Samuel Frisbie, George E. Taft, William A Hitchcock, Charles C. Georgia, Samuel Porter and Lucas Richards. These men are authorized to build a firehouse, lay pipe, create a reservoir, form a hose company and assess taxes.
Several months pass as towns people arrange the legalities and by-laws of the new fire district. Finally, on November 4, 1893, a lot is purchased from Dr. W. W. Sage at the foot of Lovely Street for $600.00, and a cornerstone is laid for the original firehouse, which still stands today. The building is built in less than one year at a cost of approximately $4,000 and is today included in the National Register of Historic Places.
On November 20, 1893, Tunxis Hose Co. No. 1 is formed to provide fire protection to the Village of Unionville. Thirty men volunteer to serve with Lucius C. Humphrey becoming the first foreman. W. W. Pinney is elected as 1st Assistant and Michael Hogerty as 2nd Assistant. A hose cart, one shut-off nozzle, two play pipes and 1,000 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose are purchased at a cost of $793.00, and Tunxis Hose Co. No. 1 is now ready to fight fires.
Ironically, the first alarm is at the home of Captain Nathaniel Hayden, who was vehemently opposed to the formation of the fire company. The fire, caused by a burner explosion, is quickly extinguished, and Captain Hayden’s home is saved. In his gratitude, Captain Hayden donates an eight-day clock to the Company. The clock to this day is still in excellent condition and hangs on the wall at the School Street station.
As the twentieth century dawns Tunxis Hose becomes a major political and social force in the Village of Unionville. Many members serve on various governmental boards and freely give of their time to not only fight fires but to organize dances, suppers, and many other community activities.
Many notable fires occur during these years which severely test the courage and dedication of the young Fire Company. Among them are the Trap Shop, the Union Cutlery and Hardware Company and Charles W. House & Sons factory.
In 1911, the Company votes to host its first field day and parade. Invitations are sent throughout the state and over 5,000 marchers converge on Unionville for the gigantic celebration. The entire Village pitches in to help the Fire Company. Flags and bunting adorn all the buildings along South Main Street and lavish food tables await the hungry marchers. Special attention is given to the firehouse which is decorate with the usual banners and flags as well as a giant mural. As the parade ends, the field day starts with the various departments competing against each other in dashes, hose-laying, and ladder climbs. The day is deemed a huge success as everyone leaves happy and badly needed funds are raised ot purchase new equipment.
The tradition started by Foreman Humphrey and his men continues to this day as our annual carnival is known statewide as one of the biggest and best. No doubt our forefathers would gaze in awe at the modern day fireworks display and the gleaming equipment that annually parades through Unionville.
As World War I approaches, the Company recognizes that hand drawn apparatus can no longer adequately protect the Village. The Board of Selectman initially turn down the request for motorized equipment, but through the tireless efforts of W. W. Pinney and John P. Campion a chemical truck is purchased. The contract for the new truck is signed in on October 22, 1917 and in 1919 the Company takes delivery of a Seagrave at the cost of $7,900.00. Immediately after its arrival, the truck is used not only in Unionville and Farmington, but neighboring towns of Avon, Burlington, Canton, and Simsbury begin requesting the Company’s assistance. Thus the mutual aid system is born, which is still used today.
During the 1920’s the political climate of Unionville changes again as the Fire District is disbanded and the borough form of government is adopted. Led by a succession of able Foreman, Tunxis Hose adapts to these changes and, according to the annual borough reports, is answering approximately 20-30 calls per year.
In 1930, at the age of 25, Harold F. Cromack becomes the youngest Foreman to date at Tunxis Hose. It is at this time that Foreman Cromack forms the hose-laying team which travels to competitions throughout the state. This team is a forerunner for several generations of firefighters who run on the teams, which later became known as muster teams. The hundreds of trophies and cups won in nearly 90 years of competition remain in our firehouse today, as a testimony to the skills, training, and dedication to our members.
For the first forty-five years of its history, the Fire District and the Borough of Unionville appointed a Chief Engineer to oversee the Fire Company. He was in charge of all buildings, purchasing, and the maintenance of equipment.
The Chief Engineer worked closely with the Foreman in handling the fire protection needs of Unionville. In 1938, the members of the Tunxis Hose Company No. 1, recognizing the need to control their own destiny, successfully petitioned the Borough Council to elect their own Chief. George Hitchcock is elected by his fellow members and ably serve for one year. Chief Hitchcock’s career has been a long and illustrious one as he served three terms as Foreman, culminating with his election as Chief.
In 1939, Harold Cromack is elected Chief and immediately uses his expertise to modernize the company. Formal courses in driving and hydraulics begin, and members are sent to the Regional Firemen’s Training School for advanced training. The Company also increases its social activities and is now hosting a succession of fairs, family nights, and minstrel shows.
As the country becomes heavily involved in World War II, Tunxis Hose is faced with a manpower shortage. Chief Cromack utilizes men on the waiting list to join Tunxis Hose and substitute members to protect the citizens during the long war. Though many of these men never formally become members of the Company, their dedication and diligence will always be remembered. During this time, two new pumpers are purchased. One of which is a 1946 American LaFrance and is still registered and in working condition today.
In 1952, Chief Cromack unexpectedly resigns and Andrew Matava is duly elected to succeed him. In 1955 Chief Matava and the Company are severely tested by the ruinous flood. Though the Company is split in two because of washed out bridges they successfully carry out many evacuations, and calls for assistance because of widespread devastation. The flood is especially heart-wrenching for Tunxis Hose Company No. 1 as firefighter Charles Yodkins, loses his life attempting to rescue others.
Following the flood, due to the rapid growth of Unionville, the Town and the Company begin to investigate the possibilities of a new fire station. In 1958, Chief Matava is able to inform the members that their dream of a new station will become a reality. In 1960, the cornerstone is laid for the new building and on April 8, 1961 over 500 people attend as Tunxis Hose Company No. 1 dedicates its new fire station.
In 1959, the Company votes to form a junior auxiliary for the young men of the town. Wilson “Pud” Corbidge is appointed Chief Instructor and begins recruiting members. The auxiliary is so successful that the age limit to join the regular department is lowered to 18. Many future members and officers of Tunxis Hose Company No. 1 receive their initial training in the auxiliary, including two future Chiefs, Richard E. Wilson and Bernard B. Erickson.
On November 16, 1959 Chief Matava resigns and Joseph Lesiak is elected to lead the Company. He will remain as Chief until 1978 becoming the longest serving Chief in Company history. He and his capable group of firefighters will see the Company through a period of unprecedented growth in the population of the town and the activities of the Company. Many new pieces of equipment are purchased during the 1960’s and 1970’s. The carnival is greatly expanded with addition of fireworks at the 75th Anniversary in 1968. Thus begins a tradition which continues to draw huge crowds every year.
1963, in retrospect, becomes a major turning point in Tunxis Hose history as Captain Raymond Fiora forms the first Emergency Squad. Starting with basic first aid training the Squad grows and continually updates its training. Today, it has evolved into a highly trained unit using the most sophisticated techniques and equipment available in answering over 750 medical and rescue calls each year.
On June 1, 1969 Chief Lesiak and his men fight the worst fire in Unionville history. Nine departments, eighteen pieces of apparatus and several hundred firefighters bravely try to extinguish the flames on South Main Street. Three businesses are destroyed yet at least two others are saved through the efforts of Tunxis Hose and its mutual aid neighbors.
In May of 1975, Tunxis Hose takes delivery of a 2,500 gallon tanker. This truck has the added capability of multiple attack lines and quickly becomes the mainstay of the Company. The most unique feature of the truck is its color, lime green. It is the first truck of this color in the area and leads to many heated discussions between Tunxis Hose and other departments. But lime green is here to stay and now all Company equipment sports this highly visible color.
In 1978, Tunxis Hose undergoes a major upheaval as Joseph Lesiak resigns after 19 years as Chief with only a few months left to his term. John Foryan is elected Chief to serve until the regular elections in November. Chief Foryan serves with the same dedication that has characterized his entire career and guides the Company through a very difficult time.
IN November 1978, Richard E. Wilson is elected Chief and immediately begins introducing major changes to Company procedures. New firefighting techniques, new equipment and advanced drills are just some of the policies put into effect. Increased emphasis is also placed on the mutual aid system through inter-departmental drills.
Beginning in the mid 1980’s, many new regulations and mandates were slowly working their way into Tunxis Hose and volunteer departments across the country. New equipment was purchased, existing equipment was upgraded and new training programs implemented to comply with many new State regulations and insurance industry requirements.
One of the mandates of this era was equal opportunity and in 1994 Felicity (Krause) Crowell became the first female firefighter at Tunxis Hose. Felicity remains an active firefighter to this day and now has 23 years of service. She was quickly followed by several more women who immediately took their places protecting the people of Unionville.
Since 1938, when the position of Chief was established it was the tendency to hold office for extended periods of time. The election of a Chief would always be a time of significant changes to the Company. Beginning in 1986, through Company by-law changes and the demands of the position the terms of each Chief would be greatly reduced. Over the next 32 years, eight men would hold the position. Thomas Walsh, Bernard B. Erickson, Barry Knight, Lawrence Sanderson, William Knight, Raymond “Rich” Bouchard, Sr., Brian Hunter, Jr., and Richard Higley, Sr. would al rise through the ranks and lead the Company with dedication and distinction.
As the 20th century drew to a close the population of Unionville was rising rapidly. Hundreds of homes were built on the old farms on Plainville Ave and in the River Road area. As part of the Town of Farmington’s upgrade of the entire fire department infrastructure, the fire station on School Street was renovated and a new sub-station was built in the Westwoods section of town. This new sub-station ould become part of Tunxis Hose and in August of 2000, Southwest Station was dedicated.
In 2003, through the donation of private citizens, an enclosed trailer was purchased and the Water Rescue Unit was formally established. The use of this trailer consolidated all of the water rescue equipment and greatly enhanced response times and efficiency.
In 2012, a Committee was formed to construct a plaque to recognize every member that joined Tunxis Hose Co. No. 1 and further, signed the constitution since 1893. Tunxis Hose is very fortunate to have the records dating back to 1893 documenting each member’s entry into the company. The committee reviewed each signature, verified the date and assigned each member a number. These numbers are now permanent under each member’s name and will be a reminder to all that enter the doors of Tunxis Hose of the unselfish sacrifice these members and families have made.
In addition to the three large plaques containing the 473 names, there is a smaller plaque that represents those individuals that provided the leadership to Tunxis Hose for the past 125 years.
A long time goal of Tunxis Hose as well as the other Farmington departments was to build a live fire training facility. Long term planning for this began in 2008 and eventually cam eot include the Avon Fire Department. This endeavor was facilitated under the guidance of a committee chaired by Chief HIgley from Tunxis Hose Co. No. 1, Past Director of Emergency Services Mary-Ellen Harper from the Town of Farmington as well as Past Chief Jamie Dispace from the town of Avon. The committee consisted of firefighters and private citizens who raised $1,000,000 through a fundraising campaign which ultimately culminated with ground breaking ceremony in October of 2015. Finally, in October of 2016 the Live Fire Training Facility was dedicated by Tunxis Hose Company No. 1, Farmington Fire Department, East Farms Fire Department, and the Avon Fire Department. This facility will greatly increase the safety and effectiveness of our firefighters for many years to come.
No history of Tunxis Hose would be complete without mention of parades. With their dress blue uniforms and flower filled trumpets, no one marches prouder than the men and women of Tunxis Hose. The hundreds of trophies in the Company parlors are a silent testimony to what each generation has accomplished. Three times, in 1974, 1980, and 1982, the Company has been judged “Best Appearing Fire Company in State” at the annual Connecticut State Firefighters Association Convention.
From its humble beginnings of thirty men and a hose cart, Tunxis Hose has evolved into 52 men and women, 2 stations, 3 pumpers, 2 medical units, a heavy rescue truck, and a boat. It has grown from the single call at Captain Hayden’s house to approximately 1,000 fire, medical or rescue calls a year.
Over the 125 year history of the Tunxis Hose Company No. 1, 473 men and women have worn the uniform of the Company. Five of them hold the distinction of answering the call of duty for over 50 years each; Bernard S. Erickson, William Cromack, James Bonini, Richard Glanovsky (current member), and John “Jay” Driscoll. As further indication of its members devotion to their community and their country, eighty-six Tunxis Hose members have also served in the United States military.